Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
We’re on a mission to help people discover the real value of travel — to inspire, to give more reasons, and to make it easy — for you to travel. Our company was founded back in 2005, and since then, we’ve imagined and created some of the most well-loved products for travelers all around the world.
Today, Wego is the number 1 travel metasearch engine in the Middle East. There are millions of users on Wego every month — people who travel for adventure, for work, for family, and many other reasons. That’s why we work tirelessly to make your experience of planning & booking flights, hotels, and trips as seamless as possible.
About the role
We are currently looking for a passionate Backend Engineer specializing in writing REST APIs to join our Backend Services team. As a key member of the team, you will play a crucial role in enhancing our architecture, developing robust backend systems, and introducing new features and functionalities. This position is specifically for our Wego Lahore office and does not offer a remote work option.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain robust and scalable backend services using Java Spring Boot, following best practices and coding standards.
- Comfortable working with multiple technologies and programming languages. The primary focus will be writing Rest APIs in Java Spring Boot.
- Improve code quality through comprehensive unit tests, test automation, and active participation in code reviews.
- Actively contribute to the business domain, collaborating with stakeholders to understand relevant features, and actively participating in problem-solving discussions.
- Demonstrate a proactive problem-solving approach, taking ownership of challenging issues and consistently delivering results within deadlines.
- 4+ years’ experience in hands-on coding and system design as a backend software engineer in Java Language.
- Extensive experience in developing and documenting REST APIs. Familiarity with security concepts and best practices in REST API development, ensuring data integrity and protection
- Strong understanding of database concepts, including data modeling, query optimization, and performance tuning. Proficiency in working with one or more of the following databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL
- Experience with build processes, continuous integration, and continuous delivery and containerization of applications i.e Docker
- Experience in cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform or any relevant cloud services.
- Knowledge and importance of Caching like Memcached, Redis
- Fluency in English. At Wego, our team is global, and we have chosen English as our lingua franca to communicate effectively.
It would be great if you have:
- Proficiency in Java Spring Boot
- Knowledge of distributed services and should have concepts of Message Broker e.g SQS or Rabbitmq or Kafka etc.
- Experience with Ruby and frontend development.
- Experience working in the Travel Tech industry.
Why you will love working here
- Working in a respectful culture and supportive working environment.
- We offer a competitive package and fixed compensation against USD value to help our employees manage the rising cost of living in Pakistan.
- 20 days annual leave and 14 days sick leave.
- We actively discourage people from working overtime