Senior Software Engineer- Flights Metasearch
We’re on a mission to help people discover the real value of travel — to inspire, to give more reasons, to make it easy — for you to travel. Our company was founded back in 2005, and since then, we’ve imagined and created some of the most well-loved products for travelers all around the world.
Today, Wego is the number 1 travel metasearch engine in the Middle East. There are millions of users on Wego every month — people who travel for adventure, for work, for family and for many other reasons. That’s why we work tirelessly to make your experience of planning & booking flights, hotels and trips as seamless as possible.
About the role
We are looking for passionate engineers to join the Flights team. This is a team role and you’ll be involved in many aspects — helping evolve our existing architecture, working with teams to build robust backend systems, and implementing new features and functionality.
This position is available in an in-office arrangement for candidates located in:
- Malaysia (in Kuala Lumpur)
- India (in Bangalore)
This position is available in a REMOTE work arrangement for candidates located in other parts of the world.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ship and maintain robust and scalable backend services in Java and Ruby.
- Help improve code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews.
- Work with the product and design teams to understand end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to technology, algorithms and products.
- Embrace feedback culture to grow together with your team.
- Optimize the performance of the application for maximum speed and scalability.
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results on schedule.
- 5+ years experience in hands-on coding and system design as a backend software engineer.
- Strong web API knowledge and experience in developing highly available and robust APIs.
- Good Computer Science fundamentals in Algorithms, Data Structures and Operating Systems.
- Deep working knowledge and experience with the Java programming language.
- A good knowledge of programming design patterns.
- Familiarity with both relational and non-relational databases.
- Experience in cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with build processes, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Willing to learn new technologies and programming languages.
- You are an open person who willingly shares your thoughts with your teammates.
- A product-minded engineer who cares about the "Why" – Why build this feature? Why does the team work in this way?
- Fluency in English. At Wego, our team is global, and we have chosen English as our lingua franca to communicate effectively.
It would be great if you have:
- Experience with Ruby and frontend development.
- Experience with container technology (e.g. Docker).
- Experience working in the Travel Tech industry.
- Experience operating production APIs and services.
What we can offer:
- Health insurance.
- Training and travel opportunities to Singapore and our offices around the world.
- A brand new M1 Pro Macbook will be provided.