Principal Frontend Engineer
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2023
Fresha is the only subscription-free appointment booking software for beauty and wellness businesses.
Available in 120+ countries worldwide, used by 100,000+ businesses and 450,000+ professionals worldwide. Over 800 million appointments have been booked through Fresha to date.
Salon, barbershop and beauty professionals can use the platform to manage their entire operations with intuitive software and financial technology solutions. Fresha has zero monthly fees with optional paid features, including card payment processing.
The Fresha ecosystem gives beauty and wellness professionals everything they need to run their businesses seamlessly by facilitating appointment bookings, point-of-sale, customer records management, marketing automation, loyalty, product inventory, and team management, all in one place.
Fresha also allows consumers to discover, book and pay for beauty and wellness appointments with local businesses via its marketplace.
Fresha is headquartered in London, United Kingdom, with global offices in New York City, Vancouver, Sydney, Dublin, Amsterdam, and Warsaw. The company raised $185M in venture capital funding to date from leading institutional investors
Fresha is seeking an experienced Principal Frontend Engineer who can lead the frontend guild, provide mentorship and vision for our frontend engineers, and drive the overall quality and productivity across the entire organisation.
The ideal candidate will have experience with building SPAs at scale, ideally both consumer-facing and business-facing, ensuring that large numbers of teams can work on the same codebase & product without much friction. The candidate will also have strong communication skills, both upwards and downwards, be able to drive initiatives/have some management skills.
Who will love this job
- Someone who’s passionate about quality, always eager to make things better for our customers
- Someone who’s data-driven. Knows what metrics to track, how to make them better, and celebrates incremental wins and achievements that deliver on the overall strategy
- Someone who enjoys working in a startup environment, where roles are more flexible and more rewarding. Someone who can wear multiple hats
- Someone who relishes critical feedback in the pursuit of building world-class products
What are this role’s responsibilities
- Leading the frontend guild, including chairing the weekly guild meetings, helping members drive initiatives, and providing feedback and guidance to these members
- Leading the frontend platform team, including managing priorities, agenda, backlog, etc
- Owning the overall quality and delivery speed of our various SPAs, including architecture, performance metrics (TTFB, TTI), code structure, tooling & style guides, pipelines, etc
- Reporting on the status of our frontend & its various initiatives to our senior leadership, including the CTO and C-suite
- Being a mentor to staff engineers & tech leads, helping them plan/architect solutions they’re responsible for and helping them resolve problems they have
- Occasional travel to Poland is needed, usually around 1 week every quarter
What context do you need to know
- Fresha is a booking & payment management solution, and a marketplace for salons, barbershops, and various wellness venues
- We have 2 main SPAs: B2C, and B2B. Both are written in React and use Redux. We are in the process of phasing out Redux in our B2C app in favor of hooks
- We use Typescript for everything, including API contracts (which are auto-generated)
- We use our own engine for SSR for our two main SPAs, with a few smaller ones in Remix
- We have a team in the platform tribe dedicated to maintaining and improving our frontend architecture & tooling, which you’ll be responsible for
- Strong experience with React including current trends
- Value simplicity and speed of iteration over complex design and scalability
- Experience building websites developed by a large (>3) number of teams
- Experience with web app performance, monitoring, and optimisation
- Experience with web architecture at scale (20krpm and above)
- Experience with NodeJS & building web APIs
- Experience with frameworks such as Gatsby, NextJS, Remix
- Experience with frontend tooling & building pipelines in modern CI platforms. One of: CircleCI, Travis, Gitlab CI, Github Actions
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in cross-functional team environments (fe, be, data, etc all on the same team)
- Experience leading swat teams
- Experiences leading cross-team, cross-tribal initiatives
- Experience within a start-up or scale-up
- Experience with server frameworks such as Express, Koa, NestJS
- Experience with end-to-end testing, especially Cypress
- Flexi-time (around core hours)
- Competitive salaries & RSUs
- Pension plan (5% self + 3% company contribution)
- 25 days PTO (+8 bank holidays)
- Weekly office lunches (Fridays)
- Hybrid - 3-4 days onsite/week
At Fresha, we are creating a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable.
We want all Fresha people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals. Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment.
We do not discriminate based on race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
If you have any accessibility requirements that would make you more comfortable during the interview process and/or once you join, please let us know so that we can support you.
If we don't respond to your application within 7 days, please assume your application has been unsuccessful